Every month we’ve been hosting a “Story Night” as a community. What is Story Night and why do we do it?
Story Night is pretty simple:
- We share a meal together in someone’s home, and
- We share stories from our lives on a topic.
Past story topics include:
- Share a story about the best party you’ve ever been to.
- Share a story about an area of pain or loss that you are still grieving today.
- Share about an area of significant growth in your life.
Story Nights have been important for a few reasons:
Story Night is a practical place to practice some of our practices. WELCOMING and LISTENING (and a little GOSPELING, too, if you’re paying attention). The reason we name practices (instead of “values”) is that values are usually aspirational, but practices are things you can actually DO. Story Night is one place we DO our practices.
Also, Story Night is a practice that not only binds us together as a community, but opens space for others to be drawn in to our life together. As such, it’s an easy way to start and sustain a Table Group.
Story Night (and the possible Table Groups that emerge from it) is part of how we EMBODY and EXTEND the presence of Christ that we ENCOUNTER at the communion table each Sunday. It’s a way for us to BE the community we say we want to be.
Hope to see you at the next Story Night!