Church is about presence
We envision The Table as a multiplying network of neighborhood churches that work together under the common mission of encountering, embodying, and extending the presence of Christ in neighborhoods and networks all over the Indianapolis area.
Why “The Table”?
When Jesus gathered his disciples together on the night he was betrayed, he didn’t give them a list of rules to follow or a comprehensive system of doctrines to believe.
Jesus gave them a meal. And he gave them himself at this meal: “This is my Body… This is my Blood…” He offered them a table, and told them to keep gathering at this table as a way to continue to encounter his presence.
The Table became the compass in the new creation inaugurated by Jesus. He instituted a gracious economy of thanksgiving, hospitality, mutuality, and unity.
The Table is a picture of the hospitality of God, who invites us to the table, to feast on his goodness and share in the abundance of his kingdom.
The Table is an emblem of covenant community, where we share together that which is necessary for life, loving one another and caring for one another as the Body of Christ.
The Table is also an expression of God’s mission in Christ, empowered by the Holy Spirit. As God has extended his hospitality toward us, we open the table to those who would say yes to God’s welcome. They join us at the table and become fellow sharers in the goodness of God.
What The Table is all about
Concretely, then, this is the kind of church we are becoming:
- In a reactionary world, we are cultivating a robust, non-anxious Christianity that’s not afraid to wrestle with deep questions, navigating life and mission in the 21st century to make faith possible for our children.
- In a world obsessed with short-term results and the 24-hour news cycle, we’re focusing on long-term discipleship and leadership development to see generations multiplied over the long haul.
- In a culture fawning over the latest fads, we’re cultivating a strong, ancient spirituality grounded in Anglican tradition.
- In a world where patriarchy has silenced and oppressed women, we’re seeking to be a repenting church where women are fully empowered to lead with every gift the Spirit has given them in mutual submission alongside men.
- In a world languishing under the legacy of White colonialism, we’re activating the Body of Christ to engage in racial justice and mission among the marginalized, learning to love and serve in the power of the cross for the sake of others.
As we participate in this mission together, it changes us. We steadily become more recognizably the church, welcoming one another and the stranger in love, listening to one another in grace and truth, proclaiming good news to one another and our neighbors, and going to join in solidarity with the marginalized and oppressed in the name of Jesus.
Find out more
Leadership Team Our Practices Our Gatherings
If this resonates with you, here are a few ways you can partner with us
- Contact us to start a conversation.
- Attend a gathering if you’d like to “taste and see” how we live this out.
- Sign up for our email newsletter to stay in the loop.
- Give to support the mission