We are fast approaching Lent and want to give you a heads up on what we’re doing as we enter a season of reflection and repentance together:
1. Ash Wednesday will begin our season together on February 17th. We will gather outdoors in our parking lot at Spirit of Joy that evening at 6pm with another church from our diocese, Christ Church. Our service will be short (30 mins or so), outdoors, and socially distanced with masks.
2. We will spend time together as a church discussing the need for racial justice in our lives, neighborhoods, and world. This will kick off with a 2 hour workshop on Saturday, February 20th, 10:30am – 12:30pm, “Reimagining Life Together Beyond Whiteness”. Our friend, Michael Gonzalez, will be leading this time together of teaching and discussion – and – it will serve to ‘kick off’ our lent series on racial justice and reckoning with whiteness.
3. Speaking of that, we have a lectionary each Sunday we’ve put together to look at specific topics related to racial justice including: sin, salvation, community, reconciliation. We want to spend time thinking biblically and theologically about these things.
4. Also: we will have a couple weekly discussion groups where we will share our Kairoses from the workshop, and, short supplemental materials we will share each week. We will have one opportunity for discussion on Sunday mornings at 9:30am (Zoom link), and another on Tuesday evenings at 8:30pm.
5. Finally, each Wednesday morning during Lent we will gather for Morning Prayer together, beginning on Ash Wednesday (Feb 17th). Click here to get more info and find the Zoom link.
I’m looking forward to observing a very good Lent this year with all of you!